Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
RTS EPDs help building contractors, constructors and planners to better understand the environmental issues related to construction products and materials. The environmental impacts of a product during its life cycle have become relevant information in order to assess the environmental performance of a building or other construction works.
EPDs according to the European standard EN 15804:2012+A1:2013 are voluntary, transparent and well established way to present fundamental and verified environmental information based on life cycle assessment about the environmental impacts of a product or product group.
The indicators referred to in the standard EN 15804:2012+A1:2013 are used to describe the environmental impacts caused during the product life cycle, including:
- climate change impact, which takes account of the so-called carbon footprint
- ozone-depleting substances, which make the ozone layer thinner
- acidifying emissions to soil and water bodies, which damage ecosystems and the built environment
- depletion of non-renewable energy resources and mineral flows resulting from the exploitation of these resources.
What is an RTS EPD?
An EPD for construction materials can be drawn up for many different applications. The manufacturer of a construction product can make a declaration
- For the company's own use, in order to provide information about the environmental impacts of products.
- An EPD can also be made for other companies, in which case the declaration provides the company with essential information from the point of view of the information needs of other companies.
- An EPD can also be made for consumers. In this case, the most technical information can be left out to focus exclusively on what is essential for the consumer (e.g., carbon footprint and energy consumption).
RTS EPDs are made primarily for “business-to-business” use. The declarations are Type III EPDs, i.e. they provide quantified environmental information about the life cycle of a product in order to enable comparison at the building level between products that perform the same function. The life cycle assessment has been carried out in accordance with EN ISO 14044 and the construction sector-specific amendments contained in EN 15804:2012 + A1:2013 (e.g., system boundaries, modularity, etc.).
EPDs shall contain all the information that, in accordance with EN 15804:2012 + A1:2013, must be presented in EPDs in the context of “business-to-business” communications. They can be produced by one or more organisations for one product or a product group containing similar products. Product information and environmental impact calculations shall be presented in EPDs as defined in EN 15804:2012 + A1:2013. All RTS EPDs shall be verified by a third party. The information contained in them has been checked and proved to be a reliable source of environmental information.
RTS EPD – What information can be found in a declaration?
The declarations approved by the Building Information Foundation RTS sr contain all information required by the standard. The same information is also available in the declaration template. Their main features are as follows:
- Product description, description of the product and its use, product standards, physical properties
- Main raw materials of products and product description (declared for products brought to the factory)
- Substances contained in the product that are covered by the candidate list of REACH SVHC (Substances of Very High Concern)
- Functional/declared unit
- RTS EPDs must cover at least the product manufacturing stage, from the acquisition of raw materials to the factory's gate, i.e. information modules A1 … A3.
- RTS EPDs must include modules A4, C1, C2, C3, C4 and D (see instructions on the RTS PCR)
- Cut-off criteria, Assessment period
LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT RESULTS
- Environmental impacts
- Use of resources
- Waste categories
- Other environmental indicators
- Other information to be declared (emissions to soil, emissions to surface water, indoor air emissions)
- Additional technical information (scenarios used, which help when assessing the building level)
- Potentials for reuse, recovery, recycling
- Additional information
RTS EPD and ECO Platform
Rakennustietosäätiö RTS sr /
Building Information Foundation RTS sr
P.O. Box 1004, FI 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Visiting address: Malminkatu 16 A, 00100 Helsinki
Certification Manager, M.Sc (Tech.)
+358 40 8325750